Pupils are provided with the following opportunities and resources:
- A Careers Room containing all Higher Education prospectuses, information about degree courses, UCAS application, professional qualifications, finance, sponsorship and scholarship, gap year opportunities, voluntary work, career experience courses, work placement schemes, magazines and journals. There is ample computer access and the availability of numerous software packages to assist with questions and decision-making.
- An Interview Room for 'mock' interviews and private discussion with both members of the Careers Team and external consultants.
- A one, or two, week work experience placement is compulsory for all Year 11 pupils after the GCSE examinations. Further work placements and subject conferences throughout the Sixth Form.
- A biennial Careers Convention in School for girls and their parents, when around 80 delegates, all experts in their chosen field, attend and represent over 30 professions.
- UCAS information sessions for Lower Sixth and their parents. Preparation of personal statements and for interviews.
- A partnership with the nationally funded 'Connexions' career service and with ISCO, the Independent Schools Careers Organisation, The Manchester Careers Partnership, The Manchester Business Partnership and Manchester University Careers Department.
- Advice to pupils and parents at consultation evenings for options in Year 9 (GCSE choices), Year 11 (AS choices) and Year 12 (A2 choices).
- Presentations from external experts on aspects of a wide variety of career options and training requirements.
- Activities run in conjunction with the PSHCE department for Years 8 and onwards to promote self-awareness, and more detailed psychometric testing at Years 11 and 12 focusing on providing a framework of suggestions for degree courses and possible career choice based upon information given by the individual pupil.
In conclusion, girls have immediate access to up-to-date expert advice not only whilst they are pupils at the school but also in the years following.
Latest Senior School News
A great year for Eco Society has culminated with the renewal of the Eco-Schools Green Flag Award! Wi…
This year, as in the previous nine years, WGS participated in a Spanish Exchange with La Vall school…
In December 2019, 14 Lower Sixth Formers visited The Gambia, the fifteenth such Withington visit to …