An appreciation of mathematical relationships and a facility with using and interpreting mathematical language are essential tools in the world our girls will enter.
We provide a learning environment in which each girl can:
- exercise and enjoy her growing range of mathematical skills
- use appropriate language to express mathematical ideas and relationships
- develop the mathematical understanding to apply known skills in new contexts
- acquire the flexibility, independence and powers of reasoning to enable her to think abstractly and to select and use her skills effectively
- apply mathematics to support her understanding of the transactions and decisions of everyday life.
Mathematics lessons provide opportunities for developing skills in other areas too:
- social skills through working together and listening to others’ explanations;
- communication skills as girls learn to express ideas accurately and unambiguously both orally and in their written work;
- ICT skills as girls use spreadsheets to organise, manipulate and display numerical data
Latest Junior School News
Withington Girls’ School Year 6 pupil Eden Hamilton stars in The Railway Children Return alongside…
Withington Juniors wowed audiences with a spectacular retelling of a little girl with big dreams in …
Celebrating ‘More in Common’ Citizenship Day is a much-valued date in the Withington school cal…